Career and Technical Education
Mercedes Independent School District
Tour Mercedes ISD CTE Programs
This site will provide you with information on curriculum, program, rules, etc. We welcome any suggestions you may have that will improve this site for individuals working to provide high quality Career and Technical programs for students.
Career and Technology Education programs are dedicated to preparing young people to manage the dual roles of family member and wage earner. CTE programs enable students to gain entry-level employment in a high-skill, high wage jobs and/or to continue their education.
Career and Technical Education (CTE) prepares students for a wide range of careers and further educational opportunities.
CTE is offered in junior high and high school.
CTE is at the forefront of preparing students to be “College and Career Ready.”
CTE equips students with:
- Core academic skills and the ability to apply those skills to concrete situations in order to function in the workplace and in routine daily activities.
- Employability skills (such as critical thinking and responsibility) that are essential in any career area.
- Job-specific, technical skills related to a specific career pathway.
- Within CTE, occupations and career specialties are grouped into Career Clusters.
- Each of the 16 clusters is based on a set of common knowledge and skills that prepare learners for a full range of opportunities.
- “Students involved in CTE are more engaged, perform better and graduate at higher rates.”